Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 2 x 4oz ahi tuna steaks from your local Fisherman’s Market, semi-thawed (it is easier to slice if sort of frozen, though fully thawed is fine with a sharp knife)
- 1 cup of cooked sushi rice
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- Oil for pan frying
For Honey-Sriracha drizzle:
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Pinch of black sesame seeds
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced and rinsed to remove seeds
- Rice cooker or stove
- 6 x 9 loaf pan/8×8 cake pan or similar to form rice into a rectangle or square.
- Preparing the rice: add the rice to a bowl with cold water and agitate with your hands to rinse off as much starch as possible, strain in a sieve and repeat 2-3 times until the water runs clear.
- Rice cooker: cook according to instructions. On a stove: add 1 cup rinsed rice and 1 cup fresh water to a small pot on the stove at medium heat until water begins to gently boil, then lid tightly and reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, add in mirin, vinegar and sesame seeds and fluff rice with a fork gently so as not to mash the grains. Transfer to a loaf pan lined with cling film/parchment paper (the rice will be sticky so running cold water on your utensils will help with sticking). Press into an even layer gently (about 2cm thick), you want to form the rectangular shape without crushing the rice as much as possible. Once pressed into a flat rectangle, place it in the fridge to firm up.
- Prepare the sauce: mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the tuna: with a very sharp knife, cut your tuna into thin slices, and place it in the fridge while you fry your rice.
- Remove the rice from the fridge and lift it from the pan in the cling film. With a wet knife, cut into rectangles that match the size of your tuna slices.
- Heat oil in a small frying pan until a grain of rice dropped in the oil starts to bubble quickly. Fry your rice rectangles a few at a time, flipping when golden.
- To assemble: place your crispy rice on a plate, and top it with slices of tuna and a spoonful of sauce. Finish the plate with a small drizzle of sauce all around and serve.
This recipe was created by Chef Jessi, Kelowna store manager, 2022.
Though she’s traded her chef knives for fillet knives, Chef Jessi is excited to continue sharing new ways of bringing restaurant-quality dishes to your home kitchen using ingredients from the Fisherman’s Market.