Prep time: 15 min
Marinade time: 12 hours
Cook time: 20 min
- 4 portions of Sablefish (150-200g each)
- 1/3 cup sake
- 1/3 cup white (shiro) miso paste
- 1/4 cup dark maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
- In a blender, combine the sake, miso paste, maple syrup and soy sauce until smooth.
- Place the sablefish fillets in a sealable bag and add the maple miso marinade. Ensure the fillets are fully covered and lay the bag and fillets flat on a plate. Remove as much air as possible by gently pressing down on the bag, then seal the bag and store in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
- When it’s time to cook, preheat the oven to 350°F, and a saute pan over medium heat. Once the pan is heated, add a small amount of oil to prevent sticking.
- Remove the fish from the marinade and gently wipe excess off with your fingers. Place the fish in the pan, flesh side down. Cook the fish for 4-5 min, then turn over and finish cooking in the over, skin side down, for an additional 4-5 min (this time is for fish that is approximately 3/4″ thick – be sure to adjust cooking times according to fillet size).
- While the fish is cooking in the oven, add the marinade from the bag into a saucepan (strain if any miso lumps did not get blended smooth) and reduce over medium/high heat for 3-5 min. Serve in a dish on the side.
Serve with roasted red potatoes and your favourite vegetable, and enjoy this decadent dish that proves extravagance can be easy.